Every two years bantam players can qualify to compete in their designated regional zone for a chance to
play at the Alberta Summer Games. This year the Alberta Summer Games will be held in Grande Prairie, Alberta
on July 19-22nd 2018. Red Deer is Zone 4. These players consist of the top athletes of each team within the zone,
most of which have been previous opponents during the regular season. Generally, as the process goes, players
can apply for the Winter Development Camps which are held between January and April. This allows for coaches to
assess, coach, and implement play schemes for their zone team. This is not a fundamentals camp, it is expected that
athletes have a strong understanding of tackling, blocking, protection, passing, catching, and special teams. After
the development camps, the assessment days follow which are generally held outdoors, player will then know whether
they made the team at this time. Team practices will follow after the assessment date. For more information
regarding the Alberta Summer Games, visit their web page at:
Winter Development Camp (Summer Games)
After an excellent performance of Zone 4 Bantam players at the last summer games and at recent
Bantam Bowl selection camps there has been expressed by a number of coaches a need to continue
with an elite development program that would be accessible to all Zone 4 players in preparation
for the 2018 Summer Games.
The purpose of 2018 Development Camps are threefold:
- To have coaches identify and encourage their elite players to further develop their skills.
- To encourage players to try out for elite summer games and Bantam Bowl teams.
- To assist in player transition to their local high school (almost all 2016 Summer Games participants started in their Grade 10 year).
The camps will be geared to the development of the following types of players:
- Is committed to self-improvement
- Is committed to attend ALL or most of the camps as skill development will be sequential.
- Grade 9 who is in the upper 20 percentile at his position (an elite player)
- Has outstanding physical attributes (i.e. 4 sec 40, 6-4, 250 lbs) and would benefit from extra skill development.
- Grade 8’s who excel in the above mentioned attributes.
The camp will cost $75.00 for five sessions. All money generated from the camp will be spent on
participants of the camp and future camps leading to the Summer Games. It should be noted that
this is not a pre-selection camp for any Zone 4 elite teams. Tryouts for these teams are not
held during the camp and are open to all age eligible Zone 4 players.
If this is of interest, immediately e-mail Mike Roach at with your name, position.
AB Summer Games Winter Developmental Camp Form
and ensure you have your parent sign. Mail the registration along with a $75. cheque or money order
payable to Football Alberta Zone 4 Summer Games to:
184 Jenner Crescent
Red Deer, Alberta
Zone 4 Bantam Football Development Program Schedule
- Session 1 – Sunday January 21/18 7–9 p.m. St Joseph’s High School Fieldhouse
- Session 2 – Sunday February 11/18 7-9 p.m. St. Joseph’s High School Fieldhouse
- Session 3 – Sunday March 11/18 7-9 p.m. St. Joseph’s High School Fieldhouse
- Session 4 – Sunday April 15/18 7-9 p.m. St. Joseph’s High School Fieldhouse
- Session 5 – Sunday April 29th outside with location TBA
The evening sessions will be held in the Fieldhouse at St. Joseph’s High School 2700 67th
Street, Red Deer AB, and the April date will be held outside (TBD). Main location will
be in the Red Deer area as it is the most central location however some camps may be
held in Lacombe/Stettler.
Each session will consist of:
- 40 minutes individual testing (skills, strength, agility); consistent at each session
measuring individual improvement as the program progresses
- 40 minutes position instruction divided into QB’s / Receivers / Running Backs / O-Line / D-line /
Linebackers / Defensive Backs (Each position will have a separate instructor and one/two assistants
allowing for maximum player/instructor interaction; all will be overseen by Head Coach / Offensive
Coordinator / Defensive Coordinator)
- 40 minutes interactive drills (eg. Running Backs vs. LB’s / Receivers vs. DB’s)
The Extended Spring Sessions will include extra time for offense and defense schemes used
by Zone 4 teams and will include controlled scrimmages. These sessions are designed for
elite players. There will be very little time spent on conditioning; it is the responsibility
of the individual athletes to show up in shape.
- Running shoes for Field House
- Shoulder Pads
- Full equipment including long sleeves are necessary to prevent turf burns at the field house.
*1st session at St. Joseph’s High School Field House will be helmet only.
** Will need full equipment for field house and outdoor sessions so you should
sign your equipment out immediately from your team’s head coach.