Every two years bantam players can qualify to compete in their designated regional zone for a chance to
play at the Alberta Summer Games. This year the Alberta Summer Games will be held in Grande Prairie, Alberta
on July 19-22nd 2018. Red Deer is Zone 4. These players consist of the top athletes of each team within the zone,
most of which have been previous opponents during the regular season. Generally, as the process goes, players
can apply for the Winter Development Camps which are held between January and April. This allows for coaches to
assess, coach, and implement play schemes for their zone team. This is not a fundamentals camp, it is expected that
athletes have a strong understanding of tackling, blocking, protection, passing, catching, and special teams. After
the development camps, the assessment days follow which are generally held outdoors, player will then know whether
they made the team at this time. Team practices will follow after the assessment date. For more information
regarding the Alberta Summer Games, visit their web page at:
Summer games 2018 Time Line
Selection Camp: May 12 th and May 13 th at Great Chief Park in Red Deer
- Practices at 10 am to 12 pm both days
- Lunch break noon to 1:30 pm. Players supply their own
- Practices at 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm both days
- Independent evaluators will help coaches make selections
- Initial cuts will be made following May 13th practice
Selection Camp: May 26 th and May 27 th at Great Chief Park in Red Deer
- The remaining players will practice both days at the same times as the
- The final roster of 35 players will be chosen following the May 27 th
- Parent Meeting the first week of June to set up committees and arrange billets. Usually held at
Notre Dame High School
- Team BBQ at Notre Dame High School Sunday, July 8 th . Players will meet their billets
- July 9 th to 13 th players will practice twice a day at Notre Dame. Lunch is provided each day.
- Team building activities are done each evening.
- July 14 th and 15 th are days off
- July 16 th to 18 th players return to practice
- July 19 th players and coaches board the bus to Grande Prairie. Opening Ceremonies are that night. Summer Games supplies room and board for all 3 days.
- July 20 th -22 nd The team plays one game a day. Sunday is the Closing Ceremony. The team and
coaches board the bus to head home.